What is Sitecore IP Geolocation service
It’s a service which provide information about the location and owner of an IP address beyond that provided by a reverse DNS lookup. Its include information about the country, state, city, and the registered company name of every visitor.
Most common use of IP Geolocation lookups are to create conditional renderings or personalization rules that show different content based on the visitor’s geo location.
Installing Sitecore IP Geolocation Service
- Sitecore IP Geolocation service support all versions from 6.4 to 8.1.
- Installing Sitecore IP Geolocation Service consists of two basic steps:
- Subscribe to the Sitecore IP Geolocation Service
- Install and enable the package
Download the IP Geolocation service Sitecore module from SDN and follow the link for installation
How Sitecore IP Geolocation Works
To minimize the number of request to Geolocation service, First of all its lookup into the memory cache. If information is in memory cache then its use it otherwise request forward to database, if database contains the information its pick from there if not then the geolocation service is being called.
- Check IP information in the memory cache;
- Check IP information in the database;
- Request to the Geolocation service.
Now when Geolocation service is being called its store one instance into database and memory for next time call from same IP address. If there incorrect information is stored into database or memory it will not show the correct information at all.
Common Problem & Troubleshooting
Sometime after successfully installation of Geoloaction module it doesn’t work properly. We should check the following point to make sure everything is correct.
- Check your purchased
- Check configuration files in /App_Config/Include/CES folder is enabled
- Open showconfig.aspx to check configuration
- Send a direct request to the service using your environment and license to check service availability
- Download TestIp.aspx page from Sitecore knowledgebase
- Save this page into website folder and run the URL
- Enter any IP address and check if information is displayed on page then the service is accessible
Continuously receiving incorrect information?
- Check whether the correct IP information is stored in the Analytics database
- Sitecore 7.5 – Sitecore 8.x: the “GeoIps” collection, Collection database (MongoDB)
- Sitecore 6.4.1 – Sitecore 7.2: the “GeoIps” table, Analytics database (SQL)
- If incorrect Geo location information stared for a given IP, deleted that incorrect IP info from the GeoIps table/collection and do an IIS reset.
- You have to change the IP address into hash format.
- Check correct Geo information will be cached/stored again in the next request
Thanks and Cheers